Sunday, November 7, 2010

Texas Red Chili

I have been wanting to make real Texas chili for a long time.   Texas chili is a no beans, cubed beef style chili.  I decided on a great looking recipe I found in my mom's Martha Stewarrt magazine.  A little intimidating because you don't use chili powder but rather dried chiles that you toast and then soak to make a chile paste.  But once I didn't it I was suprised how easy it was.  Not as easy as opening a packet but worth the flavor difference for sure!  A little cheese and sour cream on top, some fritos, and Auburn football on tv....nice!  Hope you'll give it a try.

By the way, sorry for the picture.  I forgot to take a picture of my pretty little bowl of chili before I devoured it!  So you got a picture of the pot halfway cleaned out instead!

Texas Red Chili

8 whole dried ancho chiles (I found mine in the produce section of Wal-Mart)
3T oil
3lbs chuck trimmed and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
2 onions chopped
5T minced garlic (that's alot I know!)
2 jalepenos minced (remove seeds and white membrane for less heat)
2 1/2 t cumin
1 1/2 t oregano
28oz can whole tomatoes
4 c water


Toast dried chiles in skillet or under the broiler for about 2 mins on each side.  Remove stems and seeds and cover the chiles with hot water for about 30 mins until soft.  While chiles are soaking, heat oil over med-high heat in a large dutch oven and season meat with salt and pepper.  Brown meat in batches and set aside.  Add additional oil, if needed, and saute onions, garlic, and jalepenos until soft.  Meanwhile, place soaked chiles and about 1/2 c of soaking liquid into blender.  Puree until smooth.  To the pot, add cumin and oregano and cook about 1 min.  Add beef and chile puree to pot.  Blend tomatoes in blender and add to pot along with water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer gently with the lid partially covering the pot for 2-3 hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment