Friday, November 5, 2010

Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice (and soup out of the leftovers!)

My family loves red beans and rice.  I've never made it from scratch with dried beans so I can't really compare this to the real thing.  I'm sure there is a purest out there somewhere that would just gasp at the thought of using packaged red beans and rice but I'm not one of them!  I really like the Zatarain's products and I get the low sodium variety whenever available.  I use one box with 1/2 a package of smoked sausage sliced up and we usually like ours with some sort of greens and garlic bread.

Now for the leftovers.........

If you only use 1/2 your sausage and save about 1/3 of your greens (we had kale this time) you can have a great soup the next night.  When I get my greens I get the Glory brand in the produce section.  They are already cleaned and chopped.  If you haven't tried kale, it's similar to collards but a little curly. 


Sausage and Kale soup

1/2 package of smoked sausage, sliced in bite sized half circles
1 1/2 c kale (collards or turnip greens would work too), sauteed with a little diced onion
1 can cannelinni beans
2 cans chicken broth

Saute your sausage till a little browned.  Add everything else plus about 1 c water.  Simmer for about 30 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment