Friday, July 2, 2010

Lamb Kabobs withTaziki Sauce


I am a real fan of Greek food. Who isn't? I decided a few months ago to try my hand at lamb. I didn't grow up eating lamb and it isn't a very familiar meat in my circle friends and family now days either. I found some at Sam's wholesale and it was affordable enough for me to give it a try. I think this recipe makes lamb very easy and not so intimidating. The sauce is a traditional yogurt sauce that really compliments the meat. I served my kabobs with pita bread, roasted potatoes, and salad. It was a feast!


Lamb Kabobs

1 boneless leg of lamb
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 c olive oil
1T fresh oregano (you could substitute dried just reduce it to 1t)
1T chopped garlic
1 red onion

Cube meat into 1 1/2 to 2 inch chunks. Marinate in lemon juice, oil, oregano, and garlic for 2-3 hrs. Skewer meat occasionally alternating with onion chunks. Grill over medium heat for about 10-15 mins. Allow meat to rest before removing from skewers.

Taziki Sauce

16 oz plain yogurt (greek yogurt is nice and thick for this)
1 cucumber grated and drained
1t chopped garlic
1T olive oil
2t red wine vinegar

Combine ingredients and allow the sauce's flavor to develop in the fridge for about 2 or 3 hrs. It tastes even better the next day! Serve this sauce cold with the lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment