Friday, July 2, 2010

Bread and Butter Pickles


Well I had these 3 large cucumbers and 4 banana peppers that I wanted to do something with. I thought a simple pickle recipe would be a great solution. These turned out great! I really didn't think they would be crunchy because you briefly boil them in the brine but the cukes kept all their crunch. The original recipe called for a few things I didn't have but the following recipe is what I used. Enjoy!

Bread and Butter Pickles
1 1/2 lb cucumbers sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 onion ( I had vidalia) sliced
4 sliced banana peppers (this is optional)
2 T kosher salt
3/4 c white vinegar
1/2 c cider vinegar
1 c sugar (I think you could use 3/4 c for a little less sweet pickle)
1/2 T mustard seed
1/4 t celery seed
3 whole cloves

Salt the cukes, onions, and peppers and toss to thoroughly coat. Place in bowl covered with papertowels and top with ice. Refrigerate for 4 hrs. Drain and rinse thoroughly. Leave mixture to drain in colander while you prepare the brine.

Bring vinegars, sugar, and spices to a boil. Add mixture to brine, return to boil, and remove from heat. Pour pickles and liquid into a container and once cooled, refrigerate overnight.

1 comment: