Thursday, February 3, 2011

NYC Day 5

I wasn't too anxious to go out this morning because I wasn't  sure what it was going to be like outside.  The snow storm brought about 16 inches of snow to Manhattan.  It was plenty of entertainment just to watch the local news!




I'm the speck on the left in the back!

Searching on the internet I learned that the Rachel Ray show should be taping around 12:00.  It was now 10:00 and I had to get a shower and take about a 20 min walk to get to the show.  And how much would the snow get in my way?  Well I decided to take a super fast shower and dart out the door to see if I could get a standby seat.  Getting there wasn't too bad but for every crosswalk that was cleared of snow there was one that seemed like an obstacle course of snow and slush!  I made it and they had plenty of seats still available!  I've never been to a television show so it was really fun to see how it all worked.

After the show, I had a few hours to waste until I was to meet Bill.  The leader from the school Bill was attending was taking a group to the World Trade Center site.  I got a late lunch at Goodburger, a New York fast food chain.  I had a very good grilled burger with real cheese.  I had several more blocks to trek before I got to where Bill was and unfortunately I wasn't able to keep my feet dry.  It was inevitable and I finally plunged my feet into an icy slush puddle trying to cross the street.  Shooting pain followed by total numbness!  I kept walking to get the water out and keep the blood flowing to my toes!  Stopped into a Duane and Reade store (drugstore) and got some dry socks.  Now I'll be able to handle the tour tonight.


Memorial Site Model
 We had a very interesting tour around the WTC site.  The new site will be composed of 5 skyscrapers, a memorial & museum, transportation hub, retail complex, and performing arts center. 1 World Trade Center will be the tallest building in the country when it is completed.  The foundations of the 2 World Trade towers will be waterfall memorials.  The site did not have a look of destruction anymore but rather progress and rebirth.  It was inspiring.


Smokin' Goodfella
 We took a walk to the Staten Island Ferry.  In Staten Island we had supper at GoodFella's.  They served us huge chunks of fried mozzarella, calamari, and tomato & mozzarella salad.  The pizza was great!  Traditional tomato and mozzarella, a Vodka sauce pizza with peas and mushrooms, and their award winning Smokin' Goodfella with smoked mozzarella and roasted red pepper cream sauce.  All 3 were very good but my favorite was the traditional pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment