Monday, January 10, 2011

Crockpot Apple Butter

This recipe came from Southern Plates' website.  She has such great southern favorites on her website.  I've never tried to make apple butter before but I figured a crockpot recipe couldn't be too difficult.  It turned out great!  And good thing too since I had already planned to give jars of it out as Christmas gifts!  This recipe makes a 6 quart batch so unless you have a huge crockpot you may want to cut it in half.  I was able to fill 12 1/2 pint jars and keep 2 cups for myself from a batch.  It starts with applesauce so you don't have much cutting up to do.  This morning I mixed some apple butter with syrup, warmed it up in the microwave and had it on my buttermilk pancakes!  OMG!  Heaven!  I'll have to share my pancake recipe (supposedly the Cracker Barrel recipe) some other time.

Crockpot Apple Butter

2  50oz jars of unsweetened applesauce
3 lbs granny smith apples (about 4 or 5), peeled and cut into small chips
4c sugar
1 1/2c apple juice
2t cinnamon
1t cloves
1t allspice

Place everything in the crockpot and stir until well blended.  Cook on low 8 to 10 hrs.  Remove cover and cook another 2 hrs or so, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens.  Cool and keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment