Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Day Three - The trip to Williamsburg

Today we had our last visit to Colonial Williamsburg.  We toured the Governor's Palace and did a little shopping.  We also got to hear the fifes and drums at the end of the Revolutionary City reenactment.  That was pretty neat to hear.

We ate lunch at Chowning's Tavern.  Unfortunately it was nothing special and really just ended up being and overpriced ham sandwich.  I did however have an excellent root beer locally made by the Old Dominion bottling company.

For supper we went to a well reviewed restaurant called Food for Thought.  They have a very eclectic mix on their menu and it was difficult deciding what to have.  The fried ravioli was an easy choice for an appetizer. 

Then I had their "Thai one on" (their version of Pad Thai) and Bill had the roast beef with mashed sweet potatoes and creamed spinach.  Both were very delicious.  I especially liked my Pad Thai because unlike the version I usually have in b'ham, this one was full of vegetables and a little spicy.  I plan on making a similar version of that dish at home!
The atmosphere was great and they have little thought provoking cards and riddles on the table for entertainment.  The restaurant pays homage to some of the great thinkers in history, hence the name.  I hope I get to go back again one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment