Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day One - The trip to Williamsburg

What a drive!  We left B'ham a little after 7:00 in the morning and got to our room about 8:00 that night.  We only made one stop for gas, one for a few groceries, and 2 times to eat.  Fortunately our rental car had satellite radio so we jammed to the 80s station.  We are also going through a book together.  I read while Bill drives.  Let me tell you about the 2 places we ate...

First was the Marietta Diner just above Atlanta, Ga.  It was a little out of our way but well worth it.  We saw this place on the DDD show on Food Network. 

Bill thinks diners are really cool so it was a must stop for us.  My pancakes were great and kept me full until North Carolina!  Bill got a spinach and feta omelet that was also very tasty. 


You wouldn't believe the dessert case at this place!  Ridiculous!  I got a menu to go and I've already picked out what I'll have next time.

Next for our early supper (too full from b'fast to consider lunch) we wanted to try North Carolina style BBQ.  My understanding about NC BBQ was that it was a vinegar based BBQ and that the best was in Lexington.  We were going to visit the Lexington BBQ Restaurant but it was closed so we went to Smiley's instead.  It was wonderful! 


The sauce was actually a little sweeter and less tangy than I thought it would be.  They served it with BBQ slaw which was cabbage with the vinegar sauce on it.  It was great too.  Also, they serve hushpuppies with BBQ in NC and I love hushpuppies!!  So summary....NC BBQ rocks!!


 Supper was cereal that night.  More good eating coming tomorrow and lots of walking!

No comments:

Post a Comment