Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day Five - The trip to Williamsburg

Sorry I've gotten so behind on publishing these.  I've been sick ever since we've gotten home and I've not been on the computer.  Then when I was finally able to get back to it Blogger was broken.  So I'll be publishing a bunch today!

When we first planned our trip to Wmbg, we had no intentions of going to DC.  But, after we got there we found out that an excursion was available for us to DC at a great price.  This was our actual anniversary day so we thought this would be a great way to celebrate.  We didn't eat anywhere cool so I though I would just give you a brief review of the things we did.

Arlington National Cemetery - This is the 2nd largest military cemetery in the country.  We saw the changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  Very cool other than the pouring down rain.  My umbrella broke so we pretty much stood there getting soaked.  They guard the tomb 24 hrs a day year around.  Go to their website for more info.


National Archives - Here we got to see the Dec of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.  Fortunately they were not very busy and we were not rushed through to see them.   Very cool.

Smithsonian Museum of Natural History - We literally ran through this museum!  We stopped to see the Hope diamond and some dinosaur bones.  I didn't know that Julia Child's kitchen was there so I missed it.  Dang.

Smithsonian Museum of American History - My favorite thing I saw in DC was here.  The Star Spangled Banner.  Before we went I didn't even know that you could see it.  It is 30 x 42 ft originally but a general's wife cut pieces of it and gave it away as souvenirs so about 1/3 of it is gone.  Still, it was very cool to see the real deal.  We only had about 45 mins so we checked out a few more things.


Vietnam and Korean War Memorials; The Lincoln Memorial - The War Memorials were pretty neat to check out.  The Lincoln Memorial is huge!  The clouds had started clearing up so it was a great view.

I would love to do DC again with the boys and have more time.  It was a nice trip but way too rushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment