Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chicken Breast Stuffed with Spinach and Feta

I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light.  It is one of my favorite magazines that I receive.  The recipe below is for 2 chicken breasts so just adapt it for as many as you need.  You could even prepare the chicken ahead and then just cook them when you were ready if you were doing these for company.  Also, this is a basic recipe that I think you could adapt an endless number of ways.  How about broccoli and cheddar?  You'll also notice that I use garlic oil to saute my spinach.  I think this is such a great flavor booster ingredient and it saves me an extra step when cooking which is always great.  It has become a must-have in my kitchen.

Chicken Breast Stuffed with Spinach and Feta

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1T olive oil
salt/pepper
1/3 c chicken broth
2 c fresh spinach
1T garlic oil (or you could use olive oil and add a little garlic)
1/4 crumbled feta
toothpicks

In an oven proof skillet (not non-stick) saute the spinach with a little salt and pepper in the garlic oil.  Once wilted and cooled, squeeze out as much water as you can.  Chop the spinach and add the feta.  Take your chicken breasts and cut a pocket into the side of the thickest end.  Fill the pocket with the spinach mixture.  Use the toothpicks to skewer the pocket closed and salt and pepper the chicken.  Reheat your skillet over med-hi heat and add olive oil.  Brown the chicken 3 minutes on each side.  Preheat your oven to 350.  Once the chicken is browned, add the chicken broth to the skillet and place the skillet in the oven for 15 mins or until done.  Let the chicken rest about 5 mins before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment