Friday, August 27, 2010

BBQ Pork

I just love this recipe!!  Aside from just good ol' smoked BBQ, its the very best you can make at home.  The original recipe came from Paula Deen.  You can go here to see it.  The main change I made to it was that I cut back on the black pepper and cayenne pepper.  It was a little to spicy for me.  Also, I can't recommend enough having a good dutch oven.  I just finally got myself one a couple of years ago and I love it.   You could do this recipe in the crockpot but it just doesn't get that crust on the outside like it does in the oven and I don't think it gets as tender either.  My dutch oven is made by Lodge and my Mama got it for me for Christmas from Wal-Mart.  I think for $60 or $80.  Its great for the stove top too, for chilis and soups.  This BBQ meat is so good that it doesn't even really need sauce.... but we sauce anyway.  Favorite bottled BBQ sauce?  Right now I really like the Bull's Eye original and carolina style.  Go get you a pork butt and try this recipe!

BBQ Pork

3-4 lb pork shoulder roast

Rub:
2T salt
2T brown sugar
2T paprika
1T black pepper
1/4 t cayenne

Cooking Liquid:
2c apple juice
1c cider vinegar
2T Worcestshire
1/2 T liquid smoke
1/2 T garlic powder

Cover pork with very well with rub, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hrs or longer.  Place pork and cooking liquid in dutch oven, cover with lid, and cook at 325 for 4 hrs.  Shred meat and add some of the cooking liquid to the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment