Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ham and Potato Chowder

I'm still on my soup kick.  This is such an easy recipe.  It is actually and adaption from a recipe I saw on the back of my Simply Potatoes, diced potatoes with onion.  Publix frequently puts these on sale BOGO and all of the varieties have recipes on the back.  I have a bag of the southwestern hashbrowns that I'll be doing a Chicken Salsa Verde casserole recipe with and I have the mashed potatoes to do a Shepherd's pie recipe with.  We had grilled cheese with our soup but I would have preferred having the Bisquick garlic cheddar biscuits with it.  Those are awesome just require the packet of mix and water!  PS...I doubled the recipe since I was taking some to a friend so the recipe below can be halved.  As it is written I would say that it serves 10.  Enjoy!

Ham and Potato Chowder

2 T olive oil
2 c chopped ham
1/2 c AP flour
2 packets (20oz) diced potatoes with onion
1 c water
32 oz carton of chicken broth
1 can niblet corn, drained (fresh would be great too)
2 c milk
salt/pepper

Saute the ham in the oil just a few minutes and then add flour.  Stir and flour around to coat the ham and cook some of the raw flour taste out of it.  Add potatoes and water.  Stir until well blended.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil stirring frequently to keep potatoes from sticking to bottom of pot.  You can add some salt and pepper at this point but don't add much because the ham will add saltiness to the soup.  Once to a boil, reduce to simmer and cook about 20 mins or until potatoes are tender.  Add corn and milk and simmer until warmed through but do not boil.  Add salt and pepper as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment