Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eggplant Casserole

I bought a Japanese eggplant from the farmer's market last Saturday and I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it.  My friend Sabrina gave me a recipe for a Turkey Eggplant Casserole.  I modified it and created a great side dish.  I think I'll get some more eggplant and add the meat to create a one dish meal.  I told my kids that it was ratatouille so that they would be interested in trying (they had recently seen the Ratatouille movie).

Eggplant Casserole

1 Japanese eggplant (these have a thinner skin and less seeds than Italian eggplant), chopped
1 T olive oil
1 sm onion, chopped
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
1 t chopped garlic
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/4 c bread crumbs (I used Italian seasoned)
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1T grated Parmesan cheese (I was out but I think it should definitely be added)

Saute the vegetables until a little tender in oil.  Add garlic and tomatoes and simmer until bubbly.  Add bread crumbs and simmer until the crumbs thicken the juice.  Pour the mixture into square baking dish and top with cheese.  Bake at 350, covered for about 20 mins.

This would be such an easy recipe to add chicken, ground or sliced sausage, or ground beef to and create an easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment