Monday, July 19, 2010

BBQ Chicken with Pickle Juice BBQ Sauce

Pickle juice?  Really?  Yea, why not?  Pickle juice is just sugar, vinegar, and spices all of which are in BBQ sauce.  So why not just use that leftover juice in the jar for something?  Actually this happened by trial when I was following a BBQ sauce recipe that called for lemon-lime soda and I didn't have any.  I think this recipe could be substituted with any soft drink flavor really and the ratios of the ingredients of course could be tweaked to your liking.  I need to find me a Carolina sauce recipe to try next.  Their BBQ sauces are very mustardy and delicious on chicken.

BBQ Chicken and Pickle Juice BBQ Sauce

4lbs of chicken pieces (my family loves just chicken legs which can be on sale soooo cheap!)
BBQ rub (any store bought brand you like will do)
1/2 c ketchup
1T mustard (I used spicy brown)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t chopped garlic (finely chopped onion is good too)
2 T brown sugar
1/4 c sweet pickle juice (I use bread & butter)

Apply rub to chicken and allow to marinate for about 15mins or longer.  Combine remaining ingredients and microwave for about 1 min just till the brown sugar dissolves and sauce is heated through.  Grill chicken on direct medium heat (350) for about 10 mins.  Move to indirect heat for 20-30 mins turning occasionally but keeping lid closed as much as possible.  Brush with sauce repeatedly and cook an additional 10-15 mins until chicken is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment