Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hogs in a Sleeping Bag

This is a Paula Deen recipe and better than pigs in a blanket.  Her recipe calls for making these 4 inches long but I made mine 2 inches long for a finger food party.  Also I used the Cheddar Wurst sausage that Hillshire Farms makes.  This sausage comes in 5 hotdog size links so you don't end up with any curved pieces of sausage like you get with most smoked sausage.  I think this would be great with the chicken sausages you can get at Sam's too.  If you haven't tried those they are great.  I served mine with a bowl of BBQ sauce for dipping too (I like the Bullseye brand Carolina style).


Hogs in a Sleeping Bag

1pkg smoked sausage links
1 box puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
1 egg beaten

Cut sausages into 2 inch pieces.  Cut each sheet of puff pastry in half and then each half into 6 strips.  You'll end up with 12 strips per sheet.  You'll have some puff pastry leftover (I got 15s).  Wrap each piece of sausage with a strip of puff pastry and lay onto a cookie sheet, seam side down.  Brush the tops with beaten egg.  Bake at 400 for about 20 mins or until pastry is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment